Powers Ministry Blog

Powers Ministry Blog

Thursday, October 25, 2012

October, 2012




Purpose of Christian Challenge

Our purpose is to encourage and equip a generation to joyfully pursue Jesus, developing their vision, skills, knowledge, and character to become disciple makers through their churches, on campus, and among the nations.

Sharing Christ with a Suicidal Girl

One of our new freshman girls (who is getting really connected and already showing some great leadership qualities) brought one of her friends to a worship night. She noticed a difference in the Christians she was around compared to the people that she had first connected to when she got to ASU Downtown. Very soon she felt comfortable enough to share with her Christian friend that she was considering suicide. 

She said that she was not a Christian, but wouldn’t really consider herself an atheist. With God’s leading, I felt like the more urgent issue was actually her spiritual wellbeing. We were able to share the gospel with her. Heather, our girl leader who asked that I be there because she wasn’t ready to take this on herself, followed the lead and shared with her as well. It ended up being a good hands on training for her too.  

After talking for a while, I was looking for a verse in Hebrews to share with her and couldn’t find it because I had given away my personal Bible and only had the Scripture on my phone, so I told her that week that I would read Hebrews if she would and we could talk about it. Two days later she had read it and said it was helpful. 

So far Scripture and community with Christians has been the best thing for her. Please pray for A to make a decision for Christ because that is what she need most now. 



Atheist Girl at MCC

I was talking to one student that I’ve connected with at MCC at the coffee shop, (former Mormon who sounds open to Christ) and a girl interjected into our conversation. Within five minutes, we were very deep in the conversation and she was explaining to us why she was atheist, why evangelicals were everything that was wrong with politics and how all religious people are ignorant bigots. 

We ended up talking for an hour, and she was somewhat familiar with a warped gospel, but had been burned so badly by people claiming to have Jesus that she wanted nothing to do with Him. Thankfully the Holy Spirit was there and even though I disagreed with almost everything she said, and told her why I disagreed, she walked away thanking me that I wasn’t one of “those” Christians that had hurt her.  Pray for her and that other Christians will love her with God’s love.  



Powers Update

Colton and Hendrix turned three on September 25th. We can not believe how fast it went or how blessed we are to have these precious boys. They are such a joy. Hendrix is smart, fun, serious, orderly, organized, strong, sweet and kind. Colton is funny, doesn’t have a care in the world, sweet, a dare-devil, constantly making people laugh, has fun anywhere he is, sweet and smart. 

We had a scary couple of months. Colton has his first Febrile Seizure on 8/22.  He was choking while seizing and not breathing. I (Jamie) was terrified. We called 9-1-1 and because he still wasn’t responding, they said he needed to go to the hospital by ambulance. Bryan and Dallas met us there (my parents kept Hendrix).  Colton was put on antibiotics, but had another one 21 days later! I was alone that time, but was able to cool him down by myself (I had 9-1-1 on the phone in case he stopped breathing again) and then we went to the doctor. On the way to a doctor’s appointment for a fever, Hendrix and I were talking. But when I pulled into the parking lot, HE was having a seizure. Even in the adrenaline rush/fear/etc. I thought, “HOW can my other twin be having a seizure?!?!” The doctor walked me through it and then sent me to the hospital, where Bryan met me (my parents kept Colton and Dallas).  He was put on antibiotics. Febrile Seizures run in Bryan’s side of the family: he and both of his siblings had them until age two and his dad had them. Since the twins were almost three…we thought that we were out of the woods. 






Thank You for Your Prayers!

Please pray…

- “A” salvation and suicidal thoughts to go away
- Brian and Addie, who are going to come on with ASU Downtown in the spring.
- Cesar and Andrew at MCC
- Orphans in Mexico 
- Chandler Gilbert Community College and the church partnership
- Healing with losing Madison 
- Handling four campuses
- Us to train our boys up in a Godly way. 
- Our support
- Sanctuary Church 
- More salvations
- Four extended family prayer requests

How can we pray for you?



No comments: